(2017) ‘The Gentlemen of Wolgyesu Tailor Shop’ Lee Seyoung, Honest+Plain charm..We can`t help fall in love with her

Original Article: https://www.breaknews.com/sub_read.html?uid=497876&section=sc4

Original Title: '월계수 양복점 신사들' 이세영, 솔직+담백 매력..이러니 반할 수 밖에

This is Seyoung`s interview from 2017.03.13.

It was written by Lee Nam Kyoung from Break News.

You can use my translation, if it`s for the good purpose.

Any mistranslation is not intended, and plz let me know if you see it.


-


‘The Gentlemen of Wolgyesu Tailor Shop’ Lee Seyoung, Honest+Plain charm..We can`t help falling in love with her

 

Leeseyoung from ‘The Gentlemen of Wolgyesu Tailor Shop’ captivated viewers by showing Min Hyowon`s lovely charm plainly(without any adjustment).

 

KBS2 weekend drama ‘The Gentlemen of Wolgyesu Tailor Shop’, which ended on the 26th of last month, portrays the tears, friendship, success, and love of four men, who have lived eventful lives, at the tailor shop with history and tradition. Lee seyoung acted as Min Hyowon and was loved as “Ah-choo” couple with Gang Taeyang(Hyun Woo), by viewers from home theater.

 

Min Hyowon, acted by Leeseyoung, is the 2nd daughter of a fashion company, and the affectionate, bright and immature tomboy(It[말괄량이] means mischievous girl like Pippi). Whenever she depicts a love line with Gang Taeyang being full of charm, she gave off her charm as a ‘straightforward girl’ who confesses her heart without hesitation. and became a next-generation Romantic Comedy fairy.

 

Last 2nd, Leeseyoung met with <Break News> at the cafe located in Gangnam-gu, Seoul, and had an interview, looking back on eight months of her life as Min Hyowon from ‘The Gentlemen of Wolgyesu Tailor Shop’. Leeseyoung started as a child actress and has become a 21-year actress already. Let`s hear her story a little more.

 

- Q&A with Leeseyoung

 

Q. How do you feel about the end of the drama?

 

A. I was very close to the director, actors and actresses, and staff. I feel like I'll meet them soon. That`s why I feel sorry even more. At the last two scenes when I say goodbye to Taeyang who leaves for Gangwon-do, there`s a line “It`s the first time we part from each other after our marriage”. My eyes were teary when I said that line.

 

It was saying goodbye to ‘The Gentlemen of Wolgyesu Tailor Shop’, so I was sad. Hyowon and Taeyang will meet happily in the drama, and it was a happy ending. But I felt empty when I watched the (last episode) of drama.

 

For acting, I should let Hyowon go. But it's been a long time since I acted for a long-breath work. After 8 months of filming, I saw them more often than my family, talked longer, and became more than a family. We know each other's difficult problems, and everything. So I felt sorry. But if I keep working, I'll see them again next time. Thinking about it that way, I felt better.

 

Q. What was it like portraying cute and affectionate Hyowon?

A. I can`t say it's true when I think it's not true. My personality shows on my face(easy to read). Since I`m the youngest, I had to act cutely and friendly, but it was hard. For Park Jungeum seon-saeng-nim(선생님, a polite appellation), I met her often, and we became so close. So I could act like dealing with a real mother. I don`t behave cutely, so I feel like a son.

 

I was so embarrassed because I acted so cute. I didn`t know what to do with that smile, and sometimes got choked up while acting cute. Since talking a lot and staying up all night(for acting), I got choked up while acting cute over and over again.

 

When I`m in good condition, I act even cuter. But in the morning when I just got up, I could`t smile well. Since my face got less swollen, and it`s an all-night shoot, I got excited eating late-night meals and tried to keep smiling. My smile must not look fake, depending on my condition. So I tried to please myself.

 

I did my best this time. I think I might not be able to show my current energy and facial expression when I get older. I think it`s going to be hard. I squeezed a lot (this time).

 

I think my father would want my real personality to be like that(Hyowon). I still kiss my parents and try to say(express) “I love you” more. Even my friends say “Seyoung-ie? (sigh) She`s similar to Hyowon.” I think they say like that way because I`m puckish.

 

My elder sister said she wishes she had a younger sister like Min Hyowon. She said she couldn`t listen to “Ah-choo” because it reminds her of me. I guess I only act cute to my cat. I tried to cheer up by saying “let`s cheer up and film” because I missed my cat.

 

Q. What`s the memorable scene for you?

A. The scene when I suddenly kissed (Taeyang) and confessed my love and the scene when (Taeyang) hugged me for the first time came to my mind. In the case of sudden/surprise kiss scene, I was worried ‘Would this emotion come out (from me)?’. It was the scene in which I could express that (emotion) only if I became Min Hyowon herself.

 

It was`t a scene acted easily, but it was the moment when the personality of the character Min Hyowon was well shown. Also, it was the moment when I cheered for myself that I could act better. At the scene when I first came in his arms, Hyowon in the script was cute but I was so cringeworthy. Hyowon said “I can hear the generator running”, when her heart pounds so hard.

 

When I read the script, I said “Oh, my”. But during the filming, I said that line. I think I acted without being shy because I got into her. She expressed her emotion a lot, and we could feel she`d keep asking him out. So it was a pretty scene. Many people liked (Ah-choo couple) starting from that scene.

 

Q. What was it like to act with Hyun Woo?

A. Taeyang was a character who didn`t accept Hyowon’s love at first. So if he didn`t take it coldly, I might have felt embarrassed even if it`s acting. While he`s closed off, he looked nice and gentle. So I could act comfortably even before I got close to Hyun Woo.

 

He`s a veteran and has been acting for a long time. Also we worked with each other for a long time. So our teamwork was good. If I act for the next work, I should make a better chemistry (with the player of an opposite role) than this time. But he was so nice(his acting/attitude helped SY`s acting), so I`m worried if I can do better(than this time).

 

Q. What do you think about the “Ah-choo” couple?

A. I don`t think it was really popular. I think it`s thanks to the song and some elements. It was the light and life stories with the fun that young people like. So there`re reactions like “New concept of Straightforward girl”, and “it`s fresh”, and people watched our videos a lot. So it made headlines somewhat.

(What do you think of the responses like ‘you should go out with him’?) I understand. I started to watch dramas recently, and when the drama “Don`t dare to dream” ended, I felt empty and sorry. So I felt like that. They felt like that because they loved our drama so much. So it`s a compliment, and I feel thankful and relieved.

 

Q. What`s your dating style?

A. When I was in a relationship, I think there`re a lot of similarities with Hyowon. I don`t push and pull. There`s a saying that we need to control the tempo to see each other for a long time. Hyowon is a human victory. 10 strokes didn`t feel the great oak. But she tried for 100 times and got married to him.

 

I`m not good at multi-tasking. So I think I can`t be in a relationship when I work. I`m planning to marry late. It`s the consideration for my spouse. It might be natural for me to meet someone, perhaps, but I think that person will bear the burden of mind, whoever he is. Since I have a long way to go, so I want to be as careful as I can, and leave no possibility of dating someone during the work.

 

I think many people date each other on the set. I think I might not be able to concentrate on the work if I go out with someone I work with. I`m shy, and can`t be immersed in if I exist not as the character, but as Leeseyoung on the st. When I worked as a child actress, my mother was out of my sight while I was on the set.

 

Q. It`s been 21 years since you debuted.

A. When I was young, I was told ‘Are you acting again?’. I remember I got hurt unnecessarily. It may sound like an occupational disease. But I thought my sincerity was distorted, so I was hurt. It doesn`t happen these days.

 

My daily life and work are completely separated. But even if I watch movies and dramas as my daily hobbies, I try to watch one actress/actor's work a lot because. I have to learn how the expression of the actor's voice color and speech skills change. That kind of thing happens a lot in my daily life. Whether it's my hobby or my daily life, I think they melt into my acting and works.

 

Q. What was it like to appear on “Get it Beauty”?
A. I joined the show to learn as “Beauty Sprout“. I thought I was quite good at make-up. I don`t draw eye-lines or get a make-up. Rather than putting on make-up, removing make-up, and taking care of my skin, I tend to let my skin rest on my day off.

 

Everyone`s different, but for me, I felt plaguesomeness more because I went to a girl`s middle school and girl`s high school. Even if I can get a high-quality make-up, I don't do it at all if it takes a long time. (About showing her unpainted face on the first broadcast) It wasn`t no make-up at all. I showed my face because they told me to do so. Because of the lighting, I came out like Mona Lisa, so if you watch the broadcast, you'll see my facial expression.

 

You can see me getting brighter while putting on make-up. Even at the salon, when I get make-up, my facial expression gets better. If I play the role of a beggar one day, you`ll see my real unpainted face. I didn't wear any make-up in the previous one, not wearing high-heeled shoes. I gained some weight, so I just think that kind of looks will pass by.

 

Q. What kind of role do you want to act?

A.: I'm confident in acting using my body. Like a flying kick, grabbing by the collar, or knee-kick. I think I'm confident at acting someone nervous. While acting for this work, I think I got used to taking care of someone I love and expressing my feelings.

 

I want to make as many changes as I can. I want to play a villain like Jang Hee-bin(She`s a concubine of Sukjong, the 20th king of the Joseon dynasty), and my dream was to become a representative action actress in Korea since I was young. There might be physical limitations, but I'd like to do some action one day. I don`t have longish legs, so I think it doesn`t look cool. But I'm trying to find an action that fits my physical condition.

 

Q. What is your plan?

A. I`m waiting for the release of the web drama which hasn`t been released yet. And also waiting for the release of the independent film “Duck Town”. I haven`t picked my next role yet, and I`m planning to take some rest until I meet a good character. I need to take a TOEIC test to graduate. I think I need my own time, so I want to have my own time while traveling.

 

댓글